The Long Island Retro Gaming Expo is proud to bring back the Cosplay Contest, sponsored by Geek-E Magazine on Saturday, August 10th!
The Cosplay contest will consist of a pre-judging session, and a catwalk/skit display, as an emcee introduces the contestants.
We ask that all contestants display good sportsmanship to each other as well as the judges.
There will be NO discrimination based on a person’s level of cosplay, race or body-type.
- How the costume was obtained (homemade vs store bought)
- Attention to details or added little “flares”
- Overall appearance
- Likeness to the character(s)
- Maneuverability / Functionality
- Stage Presence
Contestants are encouraged to be creative during their time on stage. Group Skits are permitted (up to 1 minute). During catwalks Action poses, working with props, or calling out a character’s catch-phrase (where relevant) will all be viewed favorably, assuming it does not involve breaking any of the rules listed below.
Rules & Guidelines:
- NO NUDITY (does it really have to be said?).
- NO Profanity allowed on stage. This includes any messages on signs or clothes. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition (if even Deadpool knows when to keep it “clean”- so should you)
- NO Political or Religious statements on stage. We get enough of that everywhere else- this is not the time or place for it. Anyone who violates this may be disqualified from the competition.
- NO liquids, glitter, or any objects that will leave a mess (this includes costume pieces). Please be respectful of the venue and those who work there.
- NO flashpots, explosive devices, or similar special effects are to be used. Safety first. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition, as well as asked to leave the expo area.
- NO projectiles of any kind. This includes; water pistols, silly-string guns, ping pong pistols, nerf guns. We are here because we have an imagination- you can still get your point across without anything leaving your person while you are on the catwalk. Anyone who violates this rule may be disqualified from the competition, as well as asked to leave the expo area.
- All prop weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons (see Rule 6). Bladed weapons must be sheathed and peace bonded at ALL times. No clowning around and showing off in the common areas. Anyone who violates this rule WILL be disqualified from the contest and asked to leave the expo area.
- Jumping, flipping, running, throwing items, or any movements that could compromise the safety of the contestants or spectators is prohibited. Any of these actions will result in automatic disqualification from the contest.
- You must choose between a character catwalk or a short skit (consisting of 1 minute tops)- you cannot do both.
- All applications must be submitted by the time of pre-judging. THERE ARE NO ONLINE APPLICATIONS, they will only be available physically at the expo
- Costumes must be self-contained
- Each contestant may only enter one costume into the competition.
- Large, elaborate costumes must be handled by the contestant and/or assistants the contestant brings to help.
Additionally, please note that contestants can only enter in one category: “Individual” or “Group” (consisting of more than one person).
Prizes will be awarded to the winners of the following categories:
- Best Performance
- Most Unique
- “Best In Show”